Introduction to Veneers and Porcelain Veneers
Dental veneers can be defined as custom-made “shells” (made from different materials) that are fitted over the teeth to conceal stains, chips, cracks, or completely change an undesired colour in ones own teeth (which is resistant to bleaching). Since teeth imperfections are common, veneers are one of the most common cosmetic dental treatments today.
Out of the different materials available, porcelain veneers happen to be the best type of veneers for many reasons, including their durability (made from a strong ceramic material), and resistance to stains and chipping.
How Do Porcelain Veneers Work?
Porcelain veneers stand out for being highly customizable. They can be custom-made to match the colour and shape of a real tooth/teeth, giving that perfect natural look. Here is how the process goes:
- Porcelain veneers are made using porcelain material. During the dental procedure, an impression of your dental formula/tooth structure is taken before the custom ceramic veneers are made.
- The process generally includes removing some tooth enamel before custom shells are made to allow for the thickness of the veneer.
- The shells (which are less than 1.5 mm in thickness) are then bonded to your teeth (on the front), as is the case with artificial fingernails.
- Porcelain veneers change the shape, colour, length, and size of the teeth.
- The procedure takes a few dental visits (including aftercare/follow-up appointments).
How Long Porcelain Veneers Last?
Since they are made from a durable ceramic material produced by heating kaolinite (and other raw materials) at high temperatures (2,200 – 2,600 degrees Fahrenheit), you can expect the veneers to last decades (10 – 20 years depending on the care).
We invite you to get porcelain veneers from our experienced dentists, and take special care of your veneers, that way they can easily last for many years.. The importance of following a strict oral hygiene routine after your veneers have been placed can’t be overlooked.
Advantages Of Veneers
Generally, veneers are a great solution to many common teeth imperfections. The most notable advantages of veneers include:
- Covering up chips and cracks on teeth, restoring a smooth and even appearance.
- Masking discoloration caused by staining, aging, smoking, and other factors. Veneers are a solution for those who wish to have whiter teeth
- Closing gaps between teeth
- Correcting misalignment in teeth
Advantages Of Porcelain Veneers
Porcelain veneers come with all the above advantages of veneers and more. Since they are made from more durable material and are highly customizable, you can expect the following advantages over other types of veneers:
- An impressive natural-looking appearance: Porcelain veneers are highly personalized veneers featuring a tooth-colored material that offers the closest resemblance to natural teeth. The ceramic material mimics the light-reflecting and translucent characteristics of natural teeth.
- Unmatched durability: Porcelain veneers are made using a strong and durable ceramic that can last 10 years or longer. With proper installation and care, the veneers won’t chip or crack for years.
- Discolouration and stain resistance: Porcelain is a non-porous material that won’t be stained by food, beverages, smoking, etc. You are assured of a long-lasting beautiful smile.
- Unmatched versatility: Porcelain veneers are ideal for solving many cosmetic dental issues, from damaged teeth (chipped teeth and cracked teeth) to gaps, misalignment, discoloration, crooked teeth, misshapen teeth, or worn-down teeth.
- Safe & biocompatible: Porcelain is an inert and biocompatible material. Unlike other materials, it won’t react with dental tissue, reducing and eliminating the risk of any adverse or allergic reactions.
Other Types of Veneers
There are other types of veneers besides porcelain veneers. The most notable include:
As the name suggests, these veneers are made from composite resin material. This is the same material used in dental bonding procedures. These veneers work well for mild cosmetic dentistry issues only, i.e., repairing chipped teeth.
It’s also worth noting they have a less realistic look compared to porcelain veneers. The results are also short-term. Composite veneers likely won’t look great after 4 to 7 years.
Visit Annex Dentistry for Porcelain Veneers in Toronto
The benefits of veneers can’t be denied. Porcelain veneers stand out as the best option for long-lasting, bright smile makeovers. However, we suggest you talk to an experienced dentist to learn more about porcelain veneers, the procedure, the cost of porcelain veneers in Toronto, aftercare, and more!
Most importantly, you need a skilled cosmetic dentist to have porcelain veneers installed the right way. Luckily, you can secure a porcelain veneer consultation with Annex Dentistry – a leading Toronto dental clinic that has served the community diligently for 50+ years. Call the Annex dental clinic at 416-962-4022 or email [email protected], let’s get the process started and bring back your healthy and beautiful smile!